Wednesday 1 January 2014

Well-being Wednesdays: Siobhan O'brien

You may have heard of Siobhan, or to be more precise you may have heard of her delicious healthy plant based food. When she floods your instagram feed with mouth-watering pictures… it really is hard to miss!  Not only is she more then willingly to share these ever so creative recipes on her blog, she happily answers any questions about her balanced lifestyle on her tumblr, providing more then helpful advice for those wanting to transition to a healthier lifestyle. But Siobhan hasn’t always had fantastic health, coming from a background of chronic IBS and depression, Siobhan had to make major changes to not only her diet but to her mental headspace, which is not only incredible looking at where she is now, but inspirational. (And this is only one of the many reasons why so many people admire her) Being a fellow yogini (a fantastic one at that) and having an incredible passion for healthy food and self-love…. I couldn’t help but be in awe of her, and I know you all will be too. 

Say hello to the gorgeous Siobhan, all the way from the ice-cool England!



Name?
Siobhan O'Brien

Age?
18

Where do you live?
England

What initiated your healthy life style? And/or how did it start?
After years of digestive problems, in May 2012 I was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome or IBS. Essentially that means my digestive system doesn't function the way it should be and it easier digests too fast or too slow. I had to modify my lifestyle quite quickly in order to manage it, especially since I was also diagnosed gluten and dairy intolerant. Firstly I had to stop eating gluten and dairy, then I cut out highly processed foods and began introducing whole grains, fruits and vegetables instead, and I noticed a real difference in the way I felt. IBS is a long term disorder which can cannot be treated and can only managed with a healthy lifestyle, so I stay active, eat a plant based diet, drink a lot of water and do yoga to help me remain calm.


What does health mean to you and why is it important?
Health to me is when you work in harmony with your body. It's about nourishing your body with wholesome and nutritious food, keeping your body strong with regular physical activity and looking after your soul by taking time out to relax, do what makes you happy and eat the odd bar of chocolate.

When on the run, what are your go to meals and snacks?
Bananas are the best snack ever! I also love nuts, dried fruit and homemade bliss balls. Lunchboxes of pasta or roasted vegetable quinoa salads are easy for on the go meals too.

What aspects are inadaptable when it comes to your diet?
I take time off exercise when I am sick or tired, but the way I eat will never change, because it is the only thing stopping me from having a chronic stomach condition. To me it's not a diet, it's a way of life!

Are there any people who inspired you to make this lifestyle choice and/or who you admire?
I admire my parents for bringing me up to appreciate good quality food. My Mum's a vegetarian and my Dad eats a mostly vegetarian diet, so I grew up eating a lot of really good, wholesome vegetarian meals. I also spent a lot of time as a child helping them both in the kitchen and that's not only given me the skills to cook for myself, but it's also inspired me to create similar dishes which are not only delicious but also full of nutrients

What is your favourite live-by quote?
"All we are is a result of what we have thought. The mind is everything, what we think, we become."

What is your favourite way to stay active?
In summer I love running outside, cycling and going for long walks/hikes in nature. In winter I run outside whenever possible but I also go to the gym. I love yoga, too!


What are your top 3 tips to stay healthy, happy and positive?
Drink more water, sleep well and when you eat, think  "What nutrients am I giving my body?" Let food be your medicine!

Why is self-love important?
You're never going to achieve anything in life if you put yourself down. You're one of a kind and you are special. By accepting yourself for who you are and respecting yourself as an individual, you are more likely to make positive choices in regards to relationships, careers, friendships, study and of course, your own personal wellbeing through your diet and exercise. 

What do you hope to achieve in the future/what are your goals?
Ever since I was 12 years old I have dreamt of becoming a doctor, so my goal is to finish high school, get into medical school and become a doctor. I also want to life the healthiest, happiest life I can.

If you were trying to persuade someone to join you on your path to a healthy lifestyle, how would you go about doing so?
I'd cook them an amazing feast of plant based food to prove to them that it's not all weird and boring! I'd also educate them on the advantages of a plant based diet on physical and mental wellbeing, as well as the positive impact on the environment


Do you have any books, resources, or tools for someone aspiring to live a healthy lifestyle?
I gain a lot of inspiration from my friends on Tumblr and Instagram and I think the Internet is a really fantastic way to educate yourself about the benefits of a plant based lifestyle. There's so many amazing blogs of nutritious food on the Internet, I especially love Green Kitchen Stories and My New Roots as sources of inspiration in my own cooking.

What do you think is the biggest issue with health in our society?
I dislike how a healthy diet and exercise is only seen as a quick fix to weight loss, not an overall overhaul of lifestyle. People will eat only quinoa and steamed vegetables for a week and spend hours at the gym to lose weight, and then go right back to their old habits, rather than making positive changes in their life so that it can be a long term change.

What has been your proudest moment on your journey and what has been your most challenging?
I'm immensely proud and in awe of the success of my Instagram and my recipes blog. The support I get from my followers is truly mind-blowing and I feel honoured to have such a following. The most challenging thing I faced was when I was first diagnosed with IBS, as I really struggled with the constant pain and discomfort and I didn't understand what was causing it. It took a lot of elimination diets to be able to determine the trigger foods, and that was really difficult.

How can we find you?
I have an Instagram @Siobhano_ and a blog where I post all my recipes www.superfoodsiobhan.blogspot.com

Share your favourite recipe?
This is one of my absolute favourite things to eat. It's so rich and creamy and spicy, which is perfect considering how cold it is in England at the moment!

Creamy Butternut Squash and Chickpea Korma 
Serves 2-3

You will need:
  • 1 tbsps coconut oil
  • 1 onion, chopped finely
  • 1 clove of garlic chopped finely
  • 2 tbsp cumin
  • 2 tbsp coriander
  • 2 tbsp fresh ginger
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp tumeric
  • 1 fresh chilli (or 1 tsp chilli flakes)
  • 1 medium butternut squash, chopped roughly
  • 1 can/carton drained and rinsed chickpeas
  • 1 can of coconut milk (400ml)
  • 1/2-1 cup water
  • A handful of freshly chopped coriander
  • A large handful of baby spinach plus any other vegetables you like


What to do:

1. Heat the coconut oil over a low heat in a large pot and add your spices, toasting for few minutes until fragrant, then add the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli.

2. Place the lid on the pot and allow to sweat and soften for a few minutes, until it had reduced down.

3. Add the butternut squash cubes and the coconut milk and mix well, then allow to cook over a medium heat for approximately 30 minutes, or until the squash has softened and the sauce has thickened. You can also add it any other vegetables you like, such as green beans or zucchini for some extra greens.

4. Add water as necessary to thin the sauce to your preferences, and pour in the chickpeas and baby spinach, stirring well and allowing to cook in for 5-10 minutes until the chickpeas are softened and the sauce is hot.

5. Stir in the fresh coriander and serve in bowls alongside brown rice for a delicious warming meal. This also keeps great in the fridge for later on that week, and what's great is that over time the flavours get even better!



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment