Monday 25 November 2013

Melbourne Part One

I have been a bit MIA lately, but now I can gladly say that I will posting a heck of a lot more, in the next couple of weeks I will be posting recipes, interviewing some amazing and inspiring souls and will be answering the many questions I get asked from my followers. Why have I been so slack though? Well… because I’ve been in Melbourne! This post and the following will be dedicated to the 7 days I spent in the beautiful city.  I enjoyed some delicious food at some of the best vegan restaurants/cafés in Australia and met up with some of the most beautiful girls that really are my soul sisters.

ON November the 16th At the crack of dawn, stuffed to the brim with watermelon and coconut water and with a heavy suitcase filled with various clothes and shoes (including 5 pairs of overalls) My mother and I made our way to the Brisbane airport, to board the much anticipated flight to Melbourne. Whilst waiting and sipping on a green juice we were finally able to board our plane, the plane ride was pleasant, not to much turbulence… You know what was awesome though? On Qantas airlines whether domestic or international you get a meal… that’s not what the awesome part  is though… the awesome part is you can pre book what meal you want and they have a raw vegan option? Yes a raw vegan option…. Where they give you an abundance of fruit whether that is dried canned or fresh… both there and back I was shocked by how good quality the fruit was! On the way there it was breakfast time, so I was given on a tray water, pineapple, grapes and rock melon (not the best food combining but I wasn’t complaining) On the way home the portion was bigger  as it was dinner (thank goodness) there was once again water, pineapple. rock melon and grapes but this time with an additional banana, peach, half a passion fruit and nectarine, half a strawberry and a date (score)  It was wicked.



After a two hour flight, listening to the likes of Katy Perry and Imagine Dragons we finally made it to Melbourne. Giddy with excitement for the plans I had previously made,  I was on a high. I was going to yong green food with Ally  (agirlnamedally on instagram) and Anna (annaonea on instagram) two gorgeous girls I had been talking to for months, via text, letters and various forms of communication.
I met up with them near my hotel (after getting a little lost, going to our meeting place) and we jumped on a tram to Brunswick, Fitzroy where the gorgeous little Yong Green Food was nestled. 


YONG GREEN FOOD 

We all decided to share and ordered as many dishes that were socially acceptable. We ordered the buckwheat crepes to start (in which I had heard much about) a side of house-made kimchi, the raw pad thai, the dragon macro bowl and two drinks the banana and cacao shake and the green leaves juice.

 

Let me just say it was the best meal I’ve ever had (shared or not) each dish was an explosion of flavour and I just wanted more and more.  The green juice was delicious and refreshing, but the shake had a bit too much cacao, Anna agreed but Ally loved it! The drinks were nothing compared to the meals though. The raw pad thai was incredible, described as “kelp noodles mixed with organic veggies and a creamy cashew chilli sauce. Topped with activated tamari almonds" it had the perfect ratio of vegetable to kelp noodles, it wasn’t to creamy and the tamari almonds added the perfect flavour punch. It was out of this world, however the macro dragon bowl was just as good or was even better, “Biodynamic brown rice topped with seasonal veggies, organic tempeh and lemon tahini cream served with miso soup.” For such a simple described dish the meal was insane! It contained, the perfect amounts of cabbage, shitake mushrooms, carrots, beansprouts, lettuce, wakame seaweed, rice, tempeh and the right amount of the delicious tahini lemon cream and with the additional miso soup, the dish was an absolute stand out. 
Though these dishes were amazing, the BUCKWHEAT CREPES were a winner, never in my life have I tasted something so light and delicious. “Organic buckwheat crepe with braised mushrooms, veggies and served with a wasabi sauce” The crepes were thin, light and delicious and had the perfect amount of vegies inside and the sauce around them was packed full of flavour. They where amazing and every time I went to yongs during my stay I made sure to order the crepes.  The house-made kimchi was also delicious.


During the rest of the week I revisited yongs many times and found it hard to stray from the meals I ordered with Anna and Ally, I did however try the rawsanga and the raw white chocolate cheesecake. I also met up with Isabelle (belbelmusic on instagram), Isabella (funfreshandhealthy on instagram) and Calypso (calypsoscarlett on instagram) for lunch at yongs. The rawsanaga was the best raw lasagne I’ve ever tried.  “Layered zucchini with mushroom, avocado, cashew cream and a raw walnut Bolognese” It was creamy, super filling and packed full of flavor, a meal that would be great for those that are health conscious and craving there lasagne. If you’re in Melbourne you have to check out Yong green food, it’s not an option… it’s a  MUST.




Address: 421 Brunswick St, Fitzroy VIC 3065, Australia
Phone:+61 3 9417 3338
Hours:

Monday
Closed
Tuesday
12:00–4:00 pm, 5:00–10:00 pm
Wednesday
5:00–10:00 pm
Thursday
12:00–4:00 pm, 5:00–10:00 pm
Friday
12:00–4:00 pm, 5:00–10:00 pm
Saturday
12:00–4:00 pm, 5:00–10:00 pm
Sunday
12:00–4:00 pm, 5:00–9:15 pm

BERRISIMO 
After we ate lunch, we headed down Brunswick Street and browsed various vintage shops… we also came across... VEGAN FROYO. I literally was gob smacked we have nothing even remotely close to vegan froyo in Brisbane. Berrissimo had a vegan banana split, vanilla coconut and chocolate mousse flavour and I was told the flavours rotate weekly. I tried both the banana split and vanilla coconut on various occasions and it was delicious! It was also very well priced with $5.80 for a generous" small" serving of as many flavours as one desires.  If your in Melbourne, vegan or not and craving some delicious inexpensive froyo, you have to check out berrissimo.



http://berrissimo.com.au/
Address: 2/360 Brunswick St, Fitzroy VIC 3065, Australia
Phone:+61 3 9041 2177
Hours:

Monday
1:00–9:30 pm
Tuesday
1:00–9:30 pm
Wednesday
1:00–9:30 pm
Thursday
1:00–9:30 pm
Friday
1:00–10:30 pm
Saturday
12:00–10:30 pm
Sunday
12:00–9:30 pm


VEGIE BAR
We also checked out the Spanish festival, I bought some cool pants and we parted our ways home. For dinner, Mum wanted to go out, so I thought after trying yong green we would go out to Vegie bar, I had the raw tacos, and unfortunately wasn’t a fan of them, the flavours and textures were all wrong and just didn’t sit with me however during my stay in Melbourne I went back twice and tried the raw living stack and the greens stir-fry with tempeh and satay sauce.  The raw living stack was delicious the tomato and basil pesto layered with various raw vegetables and topped with crispy cheesy kale chips really hit the spot. The stir-fry was good and was a generous serving for the price, it was simple and tasty, something I could recreate at home. The vibe and atmosphere of the vegie bar was lovely, lots of veggie heads enjoying vegan or vegetarian meals together, chatting over cider, smoothies and young coconuts. A place Brisbane definitely needs. If you are looking for a nice, inexpensive dinner being that raw or cooked and a good friendly vibe you should check out vegie bar.
  




Address: 380 Brunswick St, Fitzroy VIC 3065, Australia
Phone:+61 3 9417 6935
Hours:

Monday
11:00 am – 10:00 pm
Tuesday
11:00 am – 10:00 pm
Wednesday
11:00 am – 10:00 pm
Thursday
11:00 am – 10:00 pm
Friday
11:00 am – 10:30 pm
Saturday
9:00 am – 10:30 pm
Sunday
9:00 am – 10:00 pm


STAY TUNED FOR PART 2

Demi
x




No comments:

Post a Comment